The Epic Denver Self-Guided Walking Tour
I have curated this 3.5 mile walk to make sure you capture the best sites in Denver.
Check off lots of sightseeing with this self-guided walk. It requires 3.5 miles of walking, which can be slightly lessened with the free hop on/hop off bus along the 16th street mall. Parking downtown can be difficult with meter limits, so you might want to take a Lyft or a scooter to the Capitol Building.
Highlights and Instructions
- Start at the State Capitol Building and stand on the “1 Mile Above Sea Level” step, which faces West (the mountains are always West!) on Lincoln St. Cross Broadway and walk through Civic Center Park where you can check out the many government buildings and the Voorhies Memorial (14th and Bannock).
- Walk down 14th St and stop at the Big Blue Bear at the Convention Center just past 14th and California. Continue on and go left at Champa to take in the amazing architecture of the Denver Performing Arts Center. You can then head over to Sculpture Park behind the Center, featuring many amazing sculptures.
- Make your way to the 16th Street Mall via Arapahoe and land right at the Clocktower, an iconic 1910 tower with an option to go up the observation deck. Continue West down the 16th Street Mall toward Union Station. To get to Union Station, it’s the last stop on the mall ride or take a right on Wynkoop from the Mall. You can wonder around the historic building and the inside Terminal has a bar, restaurants, shops, coffee, and ice cream.
- Head back to 16th Street and continue West. You will reach the Millennium Bridge, which is a great spot for photos. You will cross over the train tracks and continue onto the next leg. Go left on Little Raven and then right on 15th St, which will lead you through Confluence Park and over the South Platte River.
- Continue on and go over the Highway into LoHi (Lower Highlands). The city views from the West are great and LoHi has an array of some of the best restaurants in Denver (be aware they will require reservations at peak hours). Or just grab ice cream at the highly acclaimed Little Man Ice Cream! I recommend ending your adventure at Avanti, which is an old warehouse turned food collective with amazing eats for anyone and great views of the city. Sunsets are particularly great here!
- Note: If you have lots of time, you can also makes stops at the Colorado History Museum or the Denver Art Museum near Civic Center Park during or after your journey.